CONFIAM TRAINING PROTOCOL
Disciplinary Areas and teaching subjects
Confiam schools conform to the subdivision by disciplinary areas even in quantitative terms; the development of the various subjects within each area can slightly differ from school to school.
- Musical area (25% of the hours)
Objectives: Acquisition of theoretical/harmonic skills (beyond basic theoretical-musical skills); acquisition of theoretical-conceptual tools to recognize/decode the different cultural expressions of music; developing skills in the use of Orff’s instruments and percussion instruments; developing one’s expressiveness and musical creativity through improvisation and compositive techniques.
- Musical Theory
- Philosophy of Music and/or Music Semiology;
- Psychology of music;
- Rhythmic and vocal workshops; workshops on electronic and information techniques applied to music.
- Music therapeutical area (45% of the hours)
Objectives: acquisition of theoretical, methodological and technical music therapy knowledge
- Historical profile,
- Theoretical principles and scientific assumptions of Music Therapy (in Italy and abroad);
- Methodological and technical aspects (observation, design, intervention, evaluation of the results);
- Experimental workshops aimed at: knowing the operating modes of different music therapy models and in different clinical contexts; development of music therapy technical skills; development of observation and self-observation skills in group contexts.
- Psychological area (15% of the hours)
Objectives: Acquiring psychological knowledge aimed at observing the human being to understand adaptive or maladaptive behaviors.
- Elements of General Psychology;
- Psychology of developmental years;
- Observation and evaluation methodology;
- Psychological and psychopathological currents of thought and theories;
- Group dynamics.
- Medical Area (15% of the hours)
Objectives: Acquisition of knowledge on the major pathologies treated in the music therapy field. Integration strategies of music therapy within multidisciplinary teams.
- General and Preventive Medicine aspects;
- Anatomo-Physiology Elements;
- Neurological Clinic Elements;
- Child Neuropsychiatry Elements;
- Adult Psychiatry Elements;
The Confiam training protocol also contemplates at least three years of course  and the completion of a 250 hours internship/experience, including tutoring and supervision hours.
The total number of hours of Confiam schools is 1,200, subdivided into classroom hours (theoretical lessons and experimental workshops, for a total of approximately 500 hours in the three years period), internship/field practice experience (250 hours) and hours of in-depth personal preparation for exams, drafting of protocols of internships, thesis writing.
 among all Confiam schools only the CEP school in Assisi provides a four-year course.